Thursday, June 10, 2010

Waka Waka eh e eh... This Time for Africa!


“Ugly worm to a beautiful butterfly.”

This was the Nobel Peace Prize winner Archbishop Desmond Tutu’s statement as he tries to give the world what I would call the perfect picture and representation of Africa. Why the statement and what happened?

Tonight is the Concert of the FIFA World Cup™ Kick-off Celebration in the Orlando Stadium in Soweto, South Africa. Here is the review of the highlights of the three hour event, my spontaneous reaction and reflections, but I have to say that if you didn’t watch it, you really missed the most energetic and colorful event of the year!

Before the event began, President Zuma of South Africa made a remarkable statement saying; “it is Africa that is hosting this Event. South Africa is just the Stage.” You would say that it is not a big deal. But, oh dear! It is a big deal - a very big deal. From the politics behind winning the bid to host this event, to the doubt and negative perception of ‘if Africans have what it takes to host the world highest anticipated sporting event’, the truth is that IT IS HAPPENING!

The event began with Archbishop Desmond Tutu paying tribute to Nelson Mandela, the father of Modern Africa and architect of South Africa 2010 saying; “Oh! Am dreaming… wake me up… no please don’t wake me up because I love what I am seeing… is this real? IT IS REAL!” He continued “Can you see it? Can you feel it?... I CAN, and I AM!” This lovely and emotional recount of reality is in consonant with what the American R&B pianist and singer-songwriter John Legend said about the event of the night, thus; “Football and music are universal languages that bring diverse people and cultures together. That’s why I’m so excited about being part of a global event like this, one that transcends nationality or race and brings us all together”, I could not agree more! For the next 4 weeks, the eyes of the world will be in Africa – show stopper!

Tutu continued; “Welcome Home… Africa is the cradle of Humanity… so, you are welcome home… to where it all began.” Enough said!

The event was a first of its kind in Africa – unbelievably awesome!

The musical artist selection for the night was quite good. From Will. I. Am the and Black Eyed Peas to Soweto Gospel Choir, African hip-hop artist K’Naan, The Parlotones, Tinariwen, Vieux Farka Toure, the Colombian pop sensation Shakira , Hugh Masekela, Amadou & Mariam( the blind duo from Mali) and Vusi Mahlasela – you probably do not know some of these artists.

The Alicia Keys rendition of the African version of Grammy Award winning songs ‘Falling’ and ‘No one’ was so spectacular and touching with the drumming and vibe that I keep on falling in and out of…

Shakira’s hip is more like that of a charming gazelle in ‘Hips don’t lie’ – am I lying? Her Zebra Clothing… Safari! And for her singing a song I have known from childhood, I chorused along “Zamena mina eh eh, waka waka eh eh…” Africa is full of life and energy!

The energy in the Rainbow nation Climax with African-Canadian hip-hop artist K’Naan rendering the one and only motivating song of the Tournament ‘Waving Flag’ that made people singing the song minutes after he left the stage. Oh goodness, I wish I was there to wave my flag – anyways, I did it alone in my flat.

And for those who knew how important this event is for Africa, I would love you to remember the souls of Miriam Makeba and Lucky Dube… I could feel their spirit smiling down on us tonight.

African is not only in the world, the world is in Africa!

Kc

No comments:

Post a Comment