Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Oh Budapest, finally, am loving you!


Last weekend, I got many calls from my friends back home, all wanting to know if am OK due to the unfortunate toxic sludge that painted the lush green town of western Hungary red, less than a fortnight ago. In as much as I understand how concerned you guys are about my well being, I think you should know that I live in Budapest not in Devecser. But then, I guess that this ecological catastrophe has made some people notice that there is a country in Europe called Hungary. If you have no idea where Hungary nor Budapest is, Google it!
But do not be angry that am too harsh... I have something that you might not get from Google. I live in Budapest and I can tell you what is happening, where to go and what to see - if you are planning on visiting Budapest or any other city in Hungary.
Budapest is a great city! Unfortunately, if you live here, you may be buried in the fact that there are less smiling faces - if there is any at all - than any other place you have been before. Where I came from, people smile a lot, even in the face of uncertainties. That is our signature! Beyond the long faces of the waiters or the departmental shop and mall staff, Budapest is old, and like an old wine, it tastes better!
Some architectural monuments are quite striking. I would not give you the list of them, but if you follow this link, Discover Budapest from the eyes of aliens, you will get a great guide to help you when you visit. The website was designed by the students of McDaniel College, Budapest Campus - an American Liberal Arts College with main campus at Westminster, Maryland - as a part of their June Term course in Travel Writing. One big advantage of this great guide is that it was prepared by the International Students who has been living in Hungary for quite some time now.
All in all, if you happen to come to Budapest, try to discover by yourself why it is called Buda Pest. Look closely, you will feel the awe. I did and was inspired to do this painting about the physical link between the Buda and the Pest side and also the mindset of Hungarians... guess? Below is the painting titled The Chain Bridge. Oil on Suede 50x50 cm.
Digression:
If you are following the European Football, you will be highly surprised to see Liverpool F.C. sitting at the bottom three of the English Premier League. How are the mighty falling... For the Club fans, I give you something that will cheer you up,... you will never walk alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment